This project is read-only.

Installing on Windows XP and IIS 5.1

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:07 PM
Hi, is it possible to install ESB.NET on Windows XP and IIS 5.1? While installation process it calls C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\appcmd, but in IIS 5.1 it doesn't exists.

Someone has posted some time ago that has used it here.

Please help.

Thanks
Miroslav Galajda

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Hi Miroslav,
ESB.NET will run on Windows XP/IIS 5.1.
It's obviously not recommended for any sort of prod. environments.
The install script doesn't cater for anything prior to IIS6.
AppCmd.exe is an IIS 7 thing. The fact that IIS5.1 isn't being detected means it wrongly tries to do some IIS7 stuff.

This should not cause you any issues on IIS 5.1, as appcmd is used to setup the IIS Application Pools for IIS7.
For IIS6 and prior, this was a manual step anyway in terms of ESB.NET install scripts.
IIS 5.1 doesn't have AppPools, and the offending statement is completely irrelevant to IIS 5.1.
Please follow the instructions at:

[url:http://www.codeplex.com/KeystrokeEsbNet/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=12572]
Keystroke ESB.NET Services - Installation Guide
Section 6         Appendix1 - Manual Installation and Troubleshooting

Let me know if you have any problems.
Cheers
Minas
Jul 31, 2008 at 1:46 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Hi,
I downloaded latest release ESBDeploy_6.1.23.0 and after installation using setup_firsttime.cmd, I have tried to test it using default managment page as described in your documentation.
It started and it seemed to be ok.
But when I tried to test SQL logging I cannot log into it.
But this is the quite small issue.

I'm totally disgusted, about the documentation and the installation process. This seems to be unprofessional. Sorry for this words.
Documentation is terrible. Installation is not described very well as well as the workarrounds.

I have tried to install it on Vista with IIS7.0 and there is bigger problem. I cannot see any of virtual directories... :-( no management console...
I've got theese errors:

---------------------------
Windows Script Host
Error assigning Application Pool Source_ESBServiceAppPool to vdir CoreInternetTransportAdaptors.
OK  

Windows Script Host
Error assigning Application Pool Source_ESBServiceAppPool to vdir CoreInternetTransportAdaptors/Wse3.
OK  
Windows Script Host
Error assigning Application Pool Source_ESBServiceAppPool to vdir CoreInternetTransportAdaptors/Wcf.
OK  

I was looking for serious ESB, but after this practice I have to be sad :-(

Where to find serious documentation, please?

Miroslav Galajda

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Hi Miroslav,

I'll look at the documentation issue again.

In the mean time, do you have administrator priviliges to the computer you're making the changes to?

Sounds like something basic is not working.

I assume IIS has ASP.NET enabled etc.

Cheers
Minas

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM
How to enable ASP.NET in IIS 7.0?
I was working on IIS 5.1 on Windows XP and there was no need to enable ASP.NET. Every project in IIS can be configured which version of ASP.NET to use.

I have manually created projects and setuped to use ASP.NET 2.0.

When I start managment console. It writes out that service is unavailable...
Do you have some other hint?

Thanks

Miroslav Galajda
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM
1)
IIS 7 & ASP.NET:
Using the Control Panel -> Programs And Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off
Dril into:
   Internet Infromation Services->World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features ->ASP.NET
(Ensure it's checked)...

Do you have any other sample ASP.NET websites running? It was just a basic question trying to establish if you have IIS and ASP.NET up & running.

2)Check that the AppPools in IIS7 are setup with a valid user, and that the user has administrative priviliges. (this is needed on first run of a request to setup performance counters etc.).
Also, make sure the Virtual Directories are using that AppPool.

In IIS5.1, edit machine.config, processModel section (or equivalent in web.config), to ensure that the ASP.NET Worker Process (aspnet_wp.exe), is starting up with a windows user account that has local administrative priviliges. You'll need to restart IIS 5.1 after you've made this change.

HTH

Cheers
Minas
Aug 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM
Yes, thanks for explanation, I've had ASP.NET enabled in IIS.

I have manually retyped password for user ESBManagement and after that it started to work :-)
But one moment before start to working, the errors after running setup script, like " Error assigning Application Pool Source_ESBServiceAppPool to vdir CoreInternetTransportAdaptors. " still appeared... I had to do bunch of things manually, like assigning applications to app pools and correct sql instance name from sqldev to sqlexpress and so on...

Few more questions:
1. In IIS5.1 is it safe to run aspnet_wp.exe with admin rights as you have recommended?
2. Why are some functions in management console unavailable (they have circle with red line in a tree)
3. What about serious documentation?
4. In which projects was this ESB implementation used? Does anybody used this in commercial applications? Is it ever allowed to use this for commercial purposes?
5. Some sample projects?

Thanks

Miroslav Galajda
Aug 4, 2008 at 2:07 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2008 at 12:58 AM
Hi Miroslav,
Good to hear you're now up & running.

In order to not have to make any config changes, the sql instance name currently needs to be "sqldev".
Unfortunately, the install script is currently lacking in that it doesn't change the config files when you specify an alternative sql instance name.
...TODO...

Answers:
1)Not in production. It's only required to run like this for the first (synchronous and asynchronous) request, as it sets up all the performance counters & Event Logs.
You can then revert to lower priviliges. Alternatively, you can turn the performance counters off, and create the Event Log Manually.

2)These features are currently not implemented.

3)I have about 60 - 70MB or so of documentation I need to sanitize before releasing. It's a Work In Progress, and a low priority at the moment. Current work is taking up a lot more of my time than it should be. I'm also looking at routing & re-mapping, as well as some other productivity related features right now. If there's any specific areas you think need improving, let me know - or better still - being open source, feel free to update them and post.

4)Personally, I have used this (and previous versions of it) in projects I used to architect & deliver whilst working at a large multinational consulting company (big 3...) over about 7 years. Since then, I've also implemented solutions based upon the same architecture, but different platforms/technologies. It's been used largely in the finance and govt. sectors, including insurance, super and banking etc.
I only open source'd it a couple of years ago. Since then, I'm not sure what the community is doing with it. I get feedback from this forum, direct emails & tele-conferences, but mainly on how to get started & particular problems etc. and a few times architectural guidance.
We have no overall visibility into what people are doing with it. All I really do is view the download counts here :( ~ 10,000 or so over the past couple of years, and earlier the www.keystroke.com.au and www.esb.net.au websites.
ESB.NET is definitely allowed for commercial use. In fact, that's the only market for it. There's little use in doing it at home or for recreational purposes. (I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the download count, being more of a niche market segment type framework. I guess it goes to show how much interest in ESB's has grown over the years. It was unheard of (to me anyway) in 1999 when this thing started...). Then, I pretty much built it out of necessity.
In terms of costs, there's options to buy or subscribe to the kernel code base (for internal use only - no resale etc. allowed). Thinking is that some large corporates want to be able to control their own destiny, and will want the kernel code in order to do so.

5)Other than the samples in the LOBSystems directory and the tutorials in the downloads section of the release, there's no client specific deliverables (eg. case studies) we can give out, as it's been delivered as part of a client project. Can't give that sort of info out at all.
We've been trying to put some basic samples up to show how to use ESB.NET. Time is always an issue.

Cheers
Minas