Single Instance Performance Counter

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM
Hi,
I managed to install the ESB.NET 6.0.1.0 release on my machine with these components

• Win XP
  • IIS 5.1
  • Sql server 2005

but the core system tests fail except for the Basic Asynchronous Test.

I found these events under the ESB.NET :

General Information
Additional Info:
ExceptionManager.MachineName: RND-JAAFARA
ExceptionManager.TimeStamp: 3/25/2008 5:24:01 AM
ExceptionManager.FullName: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9335555c83caba24
ExceptionManager.AppDomainName: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/ESB/Source/CoreInternetTransportAdaptors/Wse3-4-128508854139391819
ExceptionManager.ThreadIdentity:
ExceptionManager.WindowsIdentity: RND-JAAFARA\Amjad

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.InvalidOperationException
Message: Category 'ESBPipelineManager' is marked as single-instance. Performance counters in this category can only be created without instance names.
Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite: Void Initialize()
HelpLink: NULL
Source: System

StackTrace Information
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.Initialize()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, Boolean readOnly)
at ESB.Core.Pipeline.PerfMonManager.SetCounterValues(ContextEntry& oCE, Boolean bTxnState, Double& lExecutionTime)
at ESB.Core.Pipeline.PipelineExecuter.InvokeObject(String& sTransactionComponent, String& sComponentServer, Envelope& oEnvRq, Envelope& oEnvRs)
at ESB.Core.Pipeline.PipelineExecuter.InvokeObject(ContextEntry& oCE)

Please can you help me in this issue.
Coordinator
Mar 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2008 at 2:24 PM
This is a defect.
As it stands, as a result of a defect, it currently requires you to have the performance counters already created (it was not the case in much older builds).
It's been fixed in the next release (6.1).
The best way forward is to take the next release.
ETA For Release Candidate 1 is Tuesday 1/04/2008
Apr 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM
Thank you for the response.
I'll try to install the latest beta version, but how to uninstall the current version or I just replace the files and it will work fine.

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2008 at 12:11 PM
Hi,
A Release Candidate 2 has just been posted. It has fixed these issues and expanded on the Performance Counters, and ESB Management Console related management of them. Setting changes are HOT.
To uninstall, just delete the old directory. (You may want to take a copy of any config files you've modified first!).
Replacing the files will also work, but you're better off deleting/renaming older version.
You can also install new one to a new directory. You can run multiple versions & instances concurrently - pretty much any combination. Pretty much only issue is that the older versions won't support newer features :).